Friday, February 20, 2015

How it feels to be forty tonight


As the clock strikes 12 midnight today, I will enter into the exclusive club of "40+" . The diametrically opposite progress of the hair and the waistline have already been ringing the welcome bell for quite some time. The wiser lot tells in squatness lies the beauty of life. I am no wise and given a choice, I will love to live thousand years in this beautiful world.

Life has been a great leveler. While my profession took me to places meeting people of diverse stratum, all along deep in my heart, I have been a loner. I have a world of my own and each day, I live few precious moments in my place, unnoticed and unseen by the world outside.
When I became a father, for the first time, I realized the true values of my own parents.  While bosses have been a favorite punching bag during discussion, I have been lucky  to get superiors who nurtured me as a professional and a great part of what I am today, it is for those mentoring done at the right time and place. After I got married, I have innumerable number of squabbles with my wife Arpana in the last 12 years for her ever readiness to forfeit her own comfort for others. I didn’t expect the excitement of being together to last this long without much of an extra effort.
During the days of early youth, all I wanted to be a great author. The promise I showed tapered off with time. Yet, there are not many people as sensible to the outside world as writers are. Though third rated, I am blessed to be one amongst the few to feel the divine pleasure which every writer experiences in his life time.

All along, I have relished life, good food, good place and above all company of intelligent people. I have learnt to be happy seeing others achieve high. The greatest thing to happen in my life over the last ten years is to overcome envies to a large extent.

At 40, the desire and fire inside still burns, still feel like capable to move around like someone in early youth. Yet, even the greatest athlete slows down by 40. Youth  is such an amazing joy, the mere thought of disintegrating over the next twenty years hurts very hard.

I have carried all along the modest beginning as one of the five siblings of a teacher’s family. Life has been a constant battle to be in the right side of conscience. The temptations are too strong at times.
Though wish to live thousand years,  when I finish the next forty years, I will better leave this beautiful world than living life as a liability. Living with pride is all I wish to do in life.



 
 You can contact Kamaljit at kamaljitmedhi1975@gmail.com

No comments: