Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Meeting a hero on the streets of Guwahati

I was driving home from office in a pensive mood and failed to timely notice the iron post at one sharp turn. As I whizzed past, the perpetual lover planted a kiss on the cheek of my car leaving behind marks of hard  love bite. While my car was out for touch up, I had to commute at the kindness of my neighbor and local autos.
 
That evening, I boarded into an auto with my wife from the market.  The driver was an elderly gentleman, neatly dressed, burly in stature with trimmed hair in commando fashion. On the way , he hardly talked and so did we as both us soon got engrossed to our smart phones. Reaching home,  he was courteous to immediately pick up the heavy bag my wife was carrying.
After he dropped the bag at its designated place, I thanked him and handed over the fare. He presumed us to be non-Assamese and seeing my nameplate at the gate, asked -
“ So you are Medhi….. where do you come from?
“ I am a native of Hajo. My parents are still staying there” I replied
He enquired if I was related to Late Bishnuram Medhi’s family. His last trip to Hajo for pilgrimage was wonderful.  As the conversation continued, I came to know that he was Singha from Chapar of Goalpara District.
I enquired whether he knew Bhaskar Medhi.
“ Bhaskar Medhi….. ha.. ha.. his father was a teacher too,  I suppose. Much younger to me, Bhaskar was a brilliant chap  and got into IIT” he replied.
Bhaskar Medhi is presently working as Dy General Manager at Indian Oil Refinery HQ. I was now sure that Mr. Singha was from Chapar.
As I complimented him for maintaining good health, I came to know that he retired from BSF as an Inspector. He had nothing much to do at home rather than killing time and so purchased the auto.
“ What about your children ?” I was now curious about Singha.
“ I have one son and a daughter . The boy passed out from NIT, Silchar in Civil Engineering and working for the State Government."
 
" What about your daughter?"

"Oh.. The girl is interested in going to academics. Did her BE in Electrical Engineering from Assam Engineering College. This year she has enrolled for  MTech”
Here is a man, who rides an auto after getting retired from BSF as an Inspector and both his children are Engineers from two reputed Government Engineering Colleges. When we are surrounded with so much of pessimism and crumbling work ethics,   Singha was indeed a ray of hope.
Finally before saying Good Bye, I asked if ever his children said him anything for the auto. Of course, I got the right answer from him for a wrong & irrelevant question

“ My children knows the dignity of labour and honesty”
Perhaps Singha drew inspiration from another Singha, a great son of Assam and his relation -  Sarat Chandra Singha. Once I met this ex Chief Minister of Assam on a crowded city bus and he refused to take the seat I was offering. It was not easy for me to remain seated  by the side of a standing Sarat Singha for long. Late Singha only agreed to occupy my seat as I got down in the next stoppage to avoid further discomfiture. And who can forget seeing Late Lakhyadhar Choudhury  , sporting a big smile, walking with his trademark umbrella !
Life of an aspiring middle class is not easy as aspiration often supersedes the achievements. Yet, if we have time to look around outside our periphery, there are innumerable inspiring, unsung heroes who make life livable.
Perhaps, people need frequent breakdown of their cars, to discover many more Singhas on the streets.
 
You can contact Kamaljit at kamaljitmedhi1975@gmail.com

No comments: