Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Racial discrimination- some random thoughts

The other day, I stumbled upon a Facebook Update of one of my colleagues cum friends. The friend has asked the people of North East to rise against the “mainstream Indian” or “mainstream Assamese” with tit for tat attitude for their continued apathy towards the indigenous people of North East (read as “Non-Mainstream Assamese). My friend, who is prone to such emotional outbreaks, made me ponder over the “Mainstream Assamese” and how do I fit myself into this community. 

My friend’s update reminded me to my Father’s Maternal Uncle, an unknown and unsung face, who met a violent end during the movement for separate statehood for Bodoland . Cladded in a pair of immaculate white Dhoti and Kurta, Father’s Uncle (We called him “Aata” meaning Koka in lower Assam) was a true “Bhadralok” (Gentleman). My earliest memories of him are Aata sitting long hours by the side of Grand Mother and both submerged in family discussion. I never heard him ever expressing displeasure or being angry. Aata used to stay in an area marred badly by communal violence. While most of the other people fled the place, Aata (Grandfather) stayed back believing no one would do him  any harm when he had himself not committed anything against anyone. His belief was utterly wrong. His title “Biswasi” was enough to justify some heinous minds to commit the unthinkable.
I was very young at that time and as usual I was burning with rage at the anonymous killer of Aata. Passing years have soothed my rage and perhaps I will spare the killer if I come face to face someday. I learnt to believe that more than the killer, the system that produced the killer is required to be nailed first. For that reason only , I become panicky, when I see educated people fail to ooze out wisdom out of their education and fall into the trap of mob psyche. We had many who once saw rays of hope with the armed struggle of Assam. Many of them today are obsessed with a new Political party in India whose USP is sheer anarchism and gimmickry.
The racial attack against the people of North East is not new. The cause is not lack of policing which some Kejriwal wants us to believe. You can’t depute one policeman after each and every citizen. The large Mongoloid population of North East doesn’t share a common History and culture with the mainstream India. The successive governments missed the important steps of national integration by keeping people of India unaware about North East. That’s the reason Lachit or Chilarai is not an Indian hero though their military pursuits can far outshine many great historical warriors and household names in other parts of India. Not many outside Assam are perhaps aware about the mighty Ahoms, who stopped the Moghul’s reach to China through Assam. But I see a silver lining when Delhi Minister Manish Sisodia states that North east must be included in the syllabus of our future generation. There is no better way to make North East acceptable to the rest of India that teaching the children about the diversity of our country. The onus of National integration lies more on the rest of India than the people of North East.
The University of Banglore has come out with an idea against racism which is nothing but short of rational thinking . The University wants to build a dedicated hostel for the students of North East to protect them from racial abuses. Don’t know how such fertile idea crop up in people’s mind ! North East must go outside the periphery of North East the way rest of India should come to North East unlike the yearly rituals of  Republic Day parade. Efforts to keep  its people isolated, will cause more harm than any good for sure.

When my sons Hrishikesh and Siddhant grow up, I wish them to grow up as a good Indian Citizen in the midst of other Indian students but never in a place exclusively reserved for the people of North East.
 
You can contact Kamaljit at kamaljitmedhi1975@gmail.com

No comments: